Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Yorkshire Tea final products...









I've enjoyed this project so much! Engaging with people online and getting "real" feedback really pushed and developed this project, it was a real learning curve for me. I feel more confident in showing my work and realised that my "style" of work isn't restricted to children's books but can by applied to commercial illustration.

I'm disappointed that the 3D printing of the collectable models didn't work out, I'm not very tech savvy so it was all too much along side the Oranges project as well. The pros of this would be that the model has a charm and handmade quality that reflected my original drawings.

Next I will take in all the feedback for this project to adjust anything and get everything photographed properly to put together as a PDF to put in for the YCN awards.



Oranges final design mock up!










Really happy with how this turned out, I was afraid some of the detail would get lost or complicated when it got reduced in size but it turned out better than I expected! I even got a couple of comments from strangers on twitter and instagram saying that they wished they had this version!










Monday, 19 January 2015

Symbolism + Meanings that impacted the design...































Pattern Development





Spent the day making this into a repeat pattern only to use part of it in the final cover. The text got lost in the design and it wasn't working...


So I started playing about with different compositions without the repeat pattern.






I had to tweak the design and take out a couple of the oranges on the front cover to accommodate for the orange on the spine because it seemed like too much. I feel like the overall design works really well as a whole and fulfils the brief. I'm happy that it developed to this and scrapped the other ideas because they didn't make sense with the book.



















Sunday, 18 January 2015

Yorkshire Tea band people!



After some suggestions about my character designs, I tweaked them slightly for a uniform design with individual characteristics that set them apart. My favourites are the main little guy with the moustache with the huge spoon and the little girl playing the trumpet with the hat that's too big for her!





Friday, 16 January 2015

Yorkshire Tea development...








I had a lot of trouble with materials trying to make little models (as suggested by someone who commented on Yorkshire Tea's facebook page.)
Air dry clay dried too quickly making it difficult to work on and take my time with. So a little trip to Hobbycraft and a long receipt later and I had a load of Fimo modelling clay to play with. This worked really well in achieving the look I was hoping for. The only problem was that after being baked in the oven they fell apart or became very top heavy as they set so they couldn't stand upright. The next day when I was trying to fix one of these little guys, Alan suggested working with the 3D printer... Since when did we have a 3D printer?! 
After a lot of talks with the workshop technician and trying to understand the 3D software over a couple of days, I decided I had to scrap the idea because of the looming deadline. If only I had known sooner! I guess it just wasn't meant to be. A bit of super glue and a lick of paint and the original clay models looked pretty decent looking to use.


Wednesday, 14 January 2015



Steve Simpson's William Morris inspired design really inspired me to change the way that I had been visualising the patterns I'd been working on. I realised that I was oversimplifying the previous pattern designs, I realised that a more complicated design was just as effectively readable with a limited colour palette and use of negative space. Over the next few days, I'll work on a design which incorporates symbols through the book.

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10894888_685909318197189_1091149603_n.jpg